Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search forum topics Search psychologists Search psychologists Help Help
 Navigation

Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Latest Forum Posts

We have 6620 registered users.
The newest registered user is Precious80.

Our users have posted a total of 2989 articles within 1173 topics in 15 forums.
Last post by DavidvdW

Queries about psychotherapy
 Psychotherapy.co.za - Discussion GroupsQueries about psychotherapy
Subject Topic: Looking for athiest Psychologist Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Looking for athiest Psychologist
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rustic
Posted: 2013 January 03 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote rustic

Group: Member

I am looking for a Psychologist who has no personal religious belief and therefore has other ways of dealing with anxiety - in terms of ageing, death etc.

I am 62 and male and live a fortunate life in pretoria area.

View rustic's Profile Search for other posts by rustic Back to Top

Annalie Pistori
Posted: 2013 January 05 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Annalie Pistori

Group: Member
Dear Rustic, most therapy approaches with clients that deal with aging and death focus on their emotional, physical and behavioural reactions, and may also address cognitive challenges, eg 'how is my universe altering'. Its up to the client however if they wish to explore their spiritual, religious and/or philosophical beliefs. Newer approaches focus on the client's positive development and resliience. I have experience working with clients in relation to their health status and death using a post-modern approach based on the client's emotional development and positive life performance. If you want to see me for therapy, I have a practice in Arcadia, Pretoria (contact me at agpistorius@lantic.net). Regards. Annalie 

View Annalie Pistori's Profile Search for other posts by Annalie Pistori Back to Top

DavidvdW
Posted: 2013 January 05 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote DavidvdW

Admin Group
Admin Group

Group: Admin Group
Of intertest here is Yaloms Book Staring at the sun -
http://www.amazon.com/Staring-Sun-Overcoming-Terror-Death/dp/0470401818

View DavidvdW's Profile Search for other posts by DavidvdW Visit DavidvdW's Homepage Back to Top

David L Wilson
Posted: 2013 January 09 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote David L Wilson

Group: Senior Member
As a psychologist I practice using methodological atheism as general approach as imposing personal views on patients seems totally unethical. If death is oblivion and annihilation why worry? Its an after- life that would scare me? Freud believed very strongly that religion, as he saw it, was defence against our utter insignificance and the projection of father figure into a Heavenly father is in its crude forms so clearly using concept of divine in service of our own egos rather than serving either the divine or any beings, to cope with narcissistic blow that our mortality brings.

Surely in most senses striving to act in accord with core ethical ideals or principles essential for a meaningful life- totally independent of existence of spiritual or not? I think for example, of mercy and truthfulness- To my mind its rather irrelevant whether a god exists or not. I think what we strive to do is more fundamental than speculations about a divine being. Social constructivism shows us how beliefs change in historical time and even during our lives if we are open to changes as result of life experience. Western empirical sciences inform us of new fragments of knowledge through our minds and senses, severely limited by space-time and the limited brange of phenomena we can perceive.

For some Some aspects of Buddhism appeal as it provides spiritual practices whilst explicitly denying existence of a god, seen as a creation of the mind.   Religion certainly can be opiate dulling real suffering of loss we encounter as our bodies collapse and slow down and we experience our vulnerability and deoendency almost like babies again. It can be hell or sweet release, depending on our preparation for surrender and capacity to integrate loss to enrich the present moment. Regards David Wilson

View David L Wilson's Profile Search for other posts by David L Wilson Back to Top

<< Prev Topic Queries about psychotherapy Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version