Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search forum topics Search psychologists Search psychologists Help Help
 Navigation

Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Latest Forum Posts

We have 6664 registered users.
The newest registered user is Collen Walis.

Our users have posted a total of 2991 articles within 1174 topics in 15 forums.
Last post by Heinrich

Site Polls
 Psychotherapy.co.za - Discussion GroupsSite Polls
Subject Topic: What do you think of the quote below Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What do you think of the Hillman quote?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [11.11%]
23 [23.23%]
4 [4.04%]
0 [0.00%]
61 [61.62%]

What do you think of the quote below
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DavidvdW
Posted: 2009 March 18 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote DavidvdW

Admin Group
Admin Group

Group: Admin Group
"By psychology's 'mortal sin', I mean the sin of deadening, the dead feeling that comes over us when we read professional psychology, hear its language, the voice with which it drones, the bulk of its textbooks, the serious pretensions and bearded proclamations of new 'findings' that could hardly be more banal, its soothing anodynes for self-help, its decor, its fashion, its departmental meetings, and its tranquilizing consulting rooms, those stagnant waters where the soul goes to be restored, a last refuge of white-bread culture, stale, crustless, but ever spongy with rebounding hope . . . Whatever romance might still be left appears in the desire to help suffering people by entering a 'training program' for therapists. But if helping is the calling, then better apprentice with Mother Teresa than to expect a psychology without soul, beauty, or pleasure to train you to help the suffering. Psychology has no self-help manual for its own affliction."

~ James Hillman, The Soul's Code

Your comment?

Edited by DavidvdW on 2009 March 18 at 9:22am

View DavidvdW's Profile Search for other posts by DavidvdW Visit DavidvdW's Homepage Back to Top

Jason
Posted: 2009 April 05 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Group: Senior Member
Thanks David.  Great quote.  I think that psychology could do allot more reflection on what it is doing, how it is doing it and why it is doing it.  We need more of this critique.  I am going to find this book online, straight away!

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage Back to Top

Invisible
Posted: 2009 April 05 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Invisible

Jason,

Have not read the mentioned book but have read another one by the same author - Suicide and the Soul…beautiful in his understanding of despair.

View Invisible's Profile Search for other posts by Invisible Back to Top

Jason
Posted: 2009 April 06 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Invisible,

It has been a long time since I have entertained any Jungian ideas (which apparently the book is based on), but the quote has sparked enough interest for me to have a look at the book!

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage Back to Top

Invisible
Posted: 2009 April 06 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Invisible

Speaking as an ignorant layperson I am surprised…I did not know that the author was influenced by Jungian ideas – for whatever reason Jung leaves me cringing! My reaction is hardly warranted…from now I will give Jung the benefit of the doubt. Despite the little that I know I dare to say that Hillman has brought certain rationality to the Jungian ideas - injecting the ‘logical’ depth of philosophy.

While I am claiming my ignorance, is there anyone that will take the time to explain (be kind when throwing in terminology) the daimon [concept?] to me…quite certain that, in this context, it does not denote any evil spirits found in [the myths of] religion…anyone?

Susan Smith
Posted: 2009 May 12 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Susan Smith

Invisible

Daimon would be that little voice of reason that resides in all of us.  Your own personal 'Guardian Angel'.  Jung might have theorised that one's daimon is, perhaps transcended through generations.  It is Jiminy Cricket's 'conscience that must be your guide'.  When you know something is wrong, you have this voice saying 'don't do it!' - that is your daimon talking.

A part of man's spirit I believe (personally for however much that counts).  Socrates himself had a Daimon - did not help him of course as he was executed for his 'outrageous' ideas and philosophies.  Clearly he did not listen to his daimon, or he would possibly have kept his mouth shut and rather written books to be discovered decades later when it was 'safe' to do so.

Damon on the other hand is an evil-doer, and who refuses the advice of his daimon, rebelling against it at all costs.

Does this help?

Somerset West
Western Cape

View Susan Smith's Profile Search for other posts by Susan Smith Back to Top

DavidvdW
Posted: 2009 May 13 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote DavidvdW

Admin Group
Admin Group

Yeah this is correct. In modern culture we have the "good angel" and the "bad angel" that whisper advice, nefarious or benign to us but we remain in charge of the decision.

There is another sense to this word and that is "fate" or "calling" - that is the daimon is the predetermined course of our lives - a notion that our modern zeitgeist is perhaps not as comfortable with.

This is the sense in which James Hillman uses the term.

View DavidvdW's Profile Search for other posts by DavidvdW Visit DavidvdW's Homepage Back to Top

Invisible
Posted: 2009 May 15 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Invisible

Echoing the Myth of Er - Plato’s paradeigma?

"A notion that our modern zeitgeist is perhaps not as comfortable with"…the daimon, not exactly a part of religious, nativism or empiricism’s discourse?

I say that Socrates had no other choice but to face imprisonment and eventual execution…to do otherwise would have undermined, even disavowed his work, his life. Perhaps Socrates did as his daimon spoke – maybe it was his daimon that told him not to flee?

judi
Posted: 2009 June 20 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote judi

Group: Member

In training psychologists for many years I always aimed to take them on a journey where they would not become "real" psychologists. The greates compliment I get from clients is when they say"Judy, you are not like a real psychologist!"

I have no handbook, walk in the darkness with others; am always filled with uncertainty.

For me it is always about merging of souls for a short time, often a sacred place.

Thanks David for the quote.

I seldom go to this site and I realise that I must visit more.

If this happens there is healing for both of us.

View judi's Profile Search for other posts by judi Back to Top

judi
Posted: 2009 June 20 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote judi

Woops ...The healing is for me and the person..

not for me and David as it reads!

Jason
Posted: 2009 June 20 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

"merging of souls"

What is that?

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

judi
Posted: 2009 June 20 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote judi

a connection; soulful rather than scientific understanding of this. The connection is not about empathy etc. but rather an encounter between two persons. I am aware and mindful of my power within this ..

There is some wonderful new understandings being written about one of whom is John Shotter, and draws on metaphysical understandings  of connection between..  

Jason
Posted: 2009 June 21 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Judi,
 Thank you for the elaboration.  Do you have any of the shotter references at hand?

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

DavidvdW
Posted: 2009 June 24 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote DavidvdW

Admin Group
Admin Group

I like Shotter's work.

There's a taste at http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jds/

Jason
Posted: 2009 June 24 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Jason

David,

I too am a fan of Shotter.  I was, however, wondering if Judi could help me find where he talks about "merging of souls"...

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

Jason
Posted: 2009 June 24 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Thanks David.  I never realised he had a homepage with so many free resources.  There goes me weekend...

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

judi
Posted: 2009 June 24 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote judi

The recent work I have read of John SHotter was his work in progress with Tom Andersen (who unfortunately died last year.) They were starting to speak about what they termed "withness " practices which is the focus on the connection between therpist and client, person to person. A connection which is being investigated in metaphysics.  I am speaking from memory as I have lent my book out...but there is also investigations into the actual structure of neurons changing when the connection is there. As it would be when we fall in love! This is also raised in the DVD "What the bleep do we know anyway...!" The name of the book which was a collection of authors celebration the life and work of Tom Andersen is :

·      2007    Innovations in the Reflecting Process: The Inspirations of Tom Andersen Edited by Harlene Anderson and Per Jensen London: Karnac Books.

Jason
Posted: 2009 June 24 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

What a great publication!  Shotter, Tom and Harlene all in one place...i will look into it....thanks

www.untwisted.co.za
jasontross@mweb.co.za

DavidvdW
Posted: 2009 June 26 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote DavidvdW

Admin Group
Admin Group

What's interesting to me about the "withness" and "connection of souls" nomenclature is that the recent explosion of research made possible by brain imaging techniques (specifically functional MRI scanning) indicates that when we are in relationships characerised by that good 'ol Rogerian trinity of Warmth, Empathy and Congruence, our brain chemistry acts in such a way as to make us feel good. What's more, the areas of the brain that are active in one person are similarly stimulated in the other. A good intro to this is Daniel Goleman's Social Intelligence.

Nice - now we don't have to invoke the concept of soul in order to understand the "connectedness" to self and other that we experience when in such encounters. Refreshingly, the soul, conceived of as an entity separate  from the material, still hides.

Lunar
Posted: 2009 July 07 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lunar

I'd like to get someone's input around what could be taking place when one has difficulty 'connecting' with others...  Do you think that on the flipside of the coin there could actually be a brain chemistry 'block' as opposed to an emotional block?

View Lunar's Profile Search for other posts by Lunar Back to Top

<< Prev Topic Site Polls Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version